About the PKD Foundation
The PKD Foundation is the only organization, worldwide, dedicated to promoting research to find treatments and a cure for polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and improving the care of those it affects. Find out more about the PKD Foundation or contact us at 1.800.PKD.CURE (753.2873) or by email at email@example.com.
Current Career Opportunities:
Polycystic kidney disease affects approximately 1 in 500 individuals. It is one of the most common, life-threatening genetic diseases that typically leads to kidney failure, requiring dialyses and/or kidney transplant. There is no cure or approved therapy in the United States. The PKD Foundation in the only organization in the US solely focused on PKD, and is highly engaged in research that will hopefully lead to a therapy. The Foundation funds many research initiatives and works closely with pharmaceutical companies, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). We rely 100 percent on private donors to fund our mission of promoting programs of research, advocacy, education, support and awareness, to improve the lives of all it affects. The PKD Foundation is looking for our next fundraising leader. This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned fundraising professional to make a difference in the lives of our patients and their families suffering from the effects of polycystic kidney disease.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer will be responsible for the strategic direction for development, providing strong leadership for fundraising initiatives, and managing a team of results-oriented, passionate staff. Our new CDO will have the relationship skills that are necessary to continue to engage our existing donors and an understanding and entrepreneurial know how to develop new revenue streams. The CDO will be a key member of the Foundation's executive team, and work collaboratively with Chief Scientific Officer, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, and Chief Operating and Financial Officer.
This is an exciting time for the PKD Foundation and the PKD community. A campaign to significantly increase the funding for research is currently being planned and the new CDO will be a highly visible leader in the campaign execution.
You will be working from the national office of PKD in Kansas City, MO. Kansas City is a vibrant community, with world class facilities for the arts, abundant shopping and dining. Kansas City is home to several professional sports teams including the Kansas City Chiefs, World Series Champions Kansas City Royals and Sporting KC. And of course, we like our world famous barbeque. Kansas City has something for everyone.
- Leading a comprehensive national development program and providing execution within the strategic plan.
- Developing a balanced mix of donor sources and solicitation programs that will enable the PKD Foundation to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Developing operational objectives that enable the PKD Foundation to achieve financial objectives.
- Designing and assuring implementation of cost effective fund development programs, employing economy while maintaining an acceptable level of quality and solid return on investment.
- Developing, coaching and managing a high-performing and empowered development team, including fundraising volunteers across the country.
- Managing the overall operations of the development initiatives and ensuring cross-functional collaborative engagement with other departmental teams.
- Appropriately representing the PKD Foundation, its board and CEO to donors, prospects and volunteers.
- Strong major gift experience, with a proven track record of working with donors at the six-figure gift level.
- Campaign experience, with an exceptional understanding of campaign planning and execution
- A keen analytical ability to align fundraising programs with expected financial outcomes.
- Results oriented, goal driven passion to achieve organizational goals.
- Exceptional interpersonal, relational and communication skills
- Intelligent, visionary, inspiring, highly collaborative, humble, high-energy leader with exceptional interpersonal and relational skills.
- 10 years senior development experience
- Significant experience in developing and empowering high functioning teams
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred. CFRE designation is highly desirable.
- A strong understanding of technology, Blackbaud's Luminate and Raiser's Edge experience preferred.
We value our employees' time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation (commensurate with experience) in addition to an extensive benefits package including:
- Paid time off – 27 days
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits
- 403(b) 7.5% of salary, no match required
We work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, and strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to forward their cover letter, resume and salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax your information to: 816.268.8497. Please reference "Chief Development Officer" in the subject line.
For more information about the PKD Foundation, visit our website at pkdcure.org.
This part-time, summer internship assists the Development team on a variety of initiatives related to raising the vital financial support that advances the PKD Foundation's mission. The Development team secures financial support through personalized cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies throughout the year. The intern will be a contributor to numerous fundraising and donor relations projects, and help manage relationship activities and strategies which are meaningful to donors, and aligned with the Foundation's development plan.
Duties are as follows:
- Support the existing donor relations initiatives
- Participate in the creation of new donor cultivation activities
- Initiate phone calls, letters and emails to donors with the primary goal of expressing appreciation for their support, and to further connect them to the mission
- Help with prospect research
- Utilize Raiser's Edge donor software to document communication with donors and update their records
- Help with mailings as needed
- Perform other support functions as needed
Qualifications are as follows:
Education/Experience – This internship is designed for current undergraduate students at the junior or senior level who are pursuing a career in the nonprofit sector. The purpose of the internship is to help students further cultivate their skills through experience at a national nonprofit. The development intern must have a positive attitude and eagerness to learn about fundraising and donor relations strategies. Knowledge of the nonprofit sector and fundraising, either through coursework or professional experience is a must; volunteer experience preferred.
Ability/Skills – The development intern must possess excellent communication skills with the ability to confidently and clearly communicate information verbally and in writing. Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and Internet research tools is a must. Customer service experience and experience with donor databases is preferred.
Knowledge/Judgment – The development intern should have strong attention to detail, a sense of professionalism and excellent customer service skills. The ability to follow directions and ask questions while managing multiple projects simultaneously is also important. The intern should show a willingness to assist where help is most needed, be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality and work with minimum supervision.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to forward their resume to: email@example.com, or fax your information to: 816.268.8497. Please reference "Development Intern" in the subject line.