Welcome to the PKD Foundation’s Tidewater Chapter Website!
The Tidewater Chapter has a new Facebook page! Check it out HERE!
If you missed our education day in August, you can read an article that our speaker, Dr. Thomas McCune based his presentation from. Dr. McCune is a nephrologist with Nephrology Associates of Tidewater specializing in PKD patients. He was also our speaker at the 2011 Walk. You can click here to read his article.
PKD Awareness Article
The Virginia House and Senate passed a joint resolution recognizing PKD awareness and the Tidewater PKD Walk. To read more, click on the link below. http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?ses=121&typ=bil&val=sj72
Transplant Games of America
July 11 - 15, 2014
The Transplant Games of America is a multi-sport festival event for individuals that have undergone life-saving transplant surgeries. The games are more than an athletic event! They highlight the importance of organ donation and celebrate the lives of organ donors and recipients. For more information about the 2014 Transplant Games of America and to register to participate, visit www.transplantgamesofamerica.org.
The PKD Foundation plans to attend the 2014 games to celebrate with PKD patients that have received a kidney transplant, living kidney donors and their families. If you plan to participate, please take our brief survey!
Chapter Support Meeting - held by telephone only from the comfort of your own home!
Saturday, March 15th
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
There are two call-in number options: use whichever one works best for you.
1. For those with free long distance minutes: (530)-881-1212
2. For those without free long distance (toll free number) - use (855)-212-0212
Enter Meeting ID: 597-292-587 when prompted
If you have any additional questions, please email email@example.com. "Talk to you" on the 15th!
Many Thanks from the Tidewater Chapter & Walk:
- Mollie is a finalist to be crowned as the Queen of the annual Urbanna, Virginia Oyster Festival. All of the Queen candidates participate in community service projects, and Mollie selected the PKD Foundation as the beneficiary of her project to honor her grandfather, who is a PKD patient. Mollie organized a Zumba marathon in July in Saluda, drawing Zumba enthusiasts from throughout the community, and many others who came to cheer them on. She also obtained individual and corporate donations before, during, and after the event. Read this article from one of our local papers on Mollie that also references PKD and her grandfather’s experiences living with PKD.
Mollie Ballantyne presenting check from Zumba Marathon fundraiser to Tidewater Chapter Coordinator, David Damiani.
- Thank you to everyone that came to our breakfast sale event in August. We raised $160 that will be counted toward our Walk total!!
- We sold 33 Shop For A Cause passes and raised $165 toward our Walk total! Shop For A Cause allows participating charities to sell Macy's discount shopping passes for $5 (a Macy's-mandated price) and to retain all proceeds. Thank you everyone for your participation.
Straight Talk About Transplantation
February 4, 2014
Presented by Melissa Blevins, RN, MS
What happens after you are told you need a kidney transplant? Melissa Blevins, RN, MS, will walk us through the process beginning when your physician tells you it is time to consider a kidney transplant.