It’s the most wonderful time of the year! As a holiday treat, we’re sharing our Coconut Angel Food Cake recipe from Cooking Well. When you whip up this delicious treat, you won’t have to worry about choosing between indulging in something sweet at the holiday party or keeping dessert kidney-friendly. Check it out!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup super fine sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup dry, unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut shavings
- 1 1/4 cups egg whites (from about 9 large eggs), at room temperature
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 325° F.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Increase speed to high. Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until whites form soft, glossy peaks.
- Beat in vanilla and lemon juice.
- In another bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with flour.
- Sift 1/3 sugar/flour mixture over egg whites; gently, but thoroughly, fold into batter using a large spatula. Repeat twice with remaining sugar/flour mixture.
- Fold in dry coconut in two batches.
- Scrape batter into an un-greased 10-inch angel food tube pan with a removable bottom.
- Smooth top into even layer.
- Bake 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned and cake springs back when you press it.
- Turn pan upside down and rest on the neck of a glass bottle to cool.
- Run a knife against insides of pan to loosen cake; remove pan. Loosen cake from bottom of pan; invert onto a plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Boil all ingredients in a medium saucepan for one minute, until lightly thickened.
- Let cool.
- Cover; refrigerate one hour.
- Before serving, sprinkle top of cake with coconut shavings and cut into 12 slices. Serve slices with three tablespoons sauce.
(per serving, serves 12)
- Calories 215
- Fat 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates 44 g
- Protein 4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Calcium 10 mg
- Phosphorus 27 mg
- Sodium 94 mg
- Potassium 167 mg
NOTE: Information or materials posted on this blog are intended for general informational purposes only, and should not be construed as medical advice, medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. Any information posted on this blog is not a substitute for patient-specific medical information or dietary advice. Please consult with your healthcare team or dietitian for a complete dietary plan and recommendations.
Buy a copy of our cookbook, Cooking Well, which is full of delicious PKD-friendly recipes to help you make healthy choices without sacrificing taste.