The name may sound extra-fancy, but if you have some baking know-how, you can master this soufflé-like dessert from our Cooking Well cookbook. This cookbook is not just a cookbook of delicious, healthy foods, but is based on the research of many scientists working to understand how diet may be used as a therapy for PKD patients. Your doctor and/or dietitian may prescribe different guidelines depending on your health and lab values.
For this more decadent recipe, we called on our local baking expert Tessa McMillan, wife of our graphic designer Glenn McMillan, and got our week off to a sweet start! Glenn and Tessa included some quick tips, too:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- Juice and zest of 1 medium lemon (Don’t have a fresh lemon? Use 3 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice with ½ tsp. dried lemon or orange zest. This equals the zest and juice you would get from one fresh lemon. Let the dried zest rehydrate in the lemon juice before putting it into your baked goods to make it taste more like fresh.)
- 2/3 cup sugar substitute
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
Combine egg yolks, ricotta, lemon juice, zest, sugar, vanilla and salt; stir to mix. (If you want a more lemony-tart flavor, test the mixture before you mix in the egg yolks. This will keep you safe from any possible salmonella poisoning).
- Fold egg whites into ricotta mixture and pour into a greased pie plate (Want to spray your pie plate but don’t want to make a mess? Place your plate into an open dishwasher and then spray it. Any extras that don’t land in your pie plate will get washed away when you do your next load).
- Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean (This is like a soufflé, so you may need to lightly place foil over the top so the edges will not brown too much).
- Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Cut into wedges and serve with fresh berries or your favorite topping.
Serves 8 (per serving)
- Calories 105
- Fat 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates 4 g
- Protein 8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Calcium 156 mg
- Phosphorous 130 mg
- Sodium 127 mg
- Potassium 98 mg