Cinco De Mayo is tomorrow, and we have the perfect recipe that will help you get a little festive. Our Mexican layer dip from Cooking Well is a low calorie, simple and delicious recipe that will add some spice to your weekend.
Give this recipe a try and let us know how it went in the comments below!
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium refried black beans
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 medium bell peppers, any color, diced
- 1/2 cup of your favorite low-sodium cheese, shredded
- 2 to 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced plum tomato
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- Spread ingredients in 9” x 11” baking pan.
- Layer 1: refried black beans
- Layer 2: Mash together: 3 ripe avocados, lemon juice, and mayonnaise
- Layer 3: Mix sour cream, cilantro, and low-sodium taco seasoning
- Layer 4: bell peppers
- Layer 5: shredded cheese
- Layer 6: shredded lettuce
- Layer 7: diced plum tomato and onion
The joy in this dish is how much you can personalize it to your taste. If you don’t like something, just leave it out. Is it missing your favorite taco ingredient? Add it in and make it your own.
Serve with raw vegetables such as baby carrots, broccoli florets, and cauliflower florets, salt-free tortilla chips or tortillas cut into triangles.
(per serving, serves 15)
- Calories 110
- Fat 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates 11 g
- Protein 4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Calcium 53 mg
- Phosphorus 88 mg
- Sodium 66 mg
- Potassium 347 mg
NOTE: Information or materials posted on this blog are intended for general informational purposes only, and should not be construed as medical advice, medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. Any information posted on this blog is not a substitute for patient-specific medical information or dietary advice. Please consult with your healthcare team or dietitian for a complete dietary plan and recommendations.
Buy a copy of our cookbook, Cooking Well, which is full of delicious PKD-friendly recipes to help you make healthy choices without sacrificing taste.