Let’s leap into autumn with a tasty, seasonal side dish from the Cooking Well cookbook! In Cooking Well, you’ll find a multitude of kidney-healthy recipes and dietary guidelines for PKD patients. In collaboration with dietitian Jacob Taylor, Ph.D., RD, LD, we developed a diet that would limit potentially harmful dietary elements, like excessive intakes of sodium and protein, and add more elements that may protect the kidney, like fruits, vegetables and fluids. Remember to consult with your doctor and/or dietitian about what foods and practices are best for you at your stage.
This Roasted Vegetable recipe combines all the wonderful flavors of fall with easy prep instructions. Here’s what our Marketing Communications Coordinator, Blaire Ginsburg, had to say after she tried this dish out over the weekend:
- Chopping vegetables is so methodical; I can totally turn on my favorite playlist and get these prep steps done in no time.
- Look at all these beautiful colors! The red peppers and onion add great antioxidants to this dish.
- Mixing in herbs like rosemary and thyme with the olive oil packs extra flavor.
Give these Roasted Vegetables a try this season and let us know how you like them in the comments!
- 1 small butternut squash, cubed
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat over to 475 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, red bell peppers, sweet potato and Yukon Gold potatoes. Separate red onion quarters into pieces and add them to the mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Toss oil mixture with vegetables until they are coated.
- Spread evenly on a large pan.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes in the oven, stirring every 10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.
Serves 8 (per seving)
- Calories 95
- Fat 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates 16 g
- Protein 2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Calcium 29 mg
- Phosphorous 47 mg
- Sodium 46 mg
- Potassium 381 mg