The purpose of this study is to observe the effects of niacinamide on markers of kidney injury, inflammation, kidney cyst growth and kidney function.
Dietary Supplement: Niacinamide
- Confirmed diagnosis of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD).
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) > 50 ml/min/1.73m2 as determined from the serum creatinine by
- the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) equation
- Provide Informed consent
- History of liver disease or abnormal liver function test
- Heavy alcohol intake
- Chronic diarrhea or malabsorption syndrome
- Pregnancy or lactation or plan to become pregnant during the study
- Treatment with anti-epileptic drugs
- Treatment with tolvaptan, current or within 2 months prior to screening
- Participation in another interventional trial currently or within 2 months prior to screening.
Exclusions specific to magnetic resonance (MR) imaging acquisition and measurement:
- Partial or total nephrectomy or renal cyst reduction (including aspiration) done <1 year ago
- Cardiac pacemaker.
- Presence of MR incompatible metallic clips (e.g. clipped cerebral aneurysm)
- Body weight >159 kg (350 lbs) or untreatable claustrophobia.
Cathy Creed, RN, BSN