The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Last Updated : October 27, 2020
Please call the clinic to find out if your care would be covered by your insurance.
The PKD Foundation has prepared this proprietary list of PKD Clinics and Centers so that patients can find expert help.
The information in this database is reported by the clinic representatives and is not verified. The Foundation cannot warranty its accuracy, and inclusion on this list is not intended as an endorsement. Please contact us with any changes or corrections.
UAB Polycystic Kidney Disease (at the Kirklin Clinic)
Advancing patient health through nationally recognized kidney care, world-class research, and rigorous training. The University of Alabama at Birmingham Division of Nephrology is dedicated to the treatment of kidney disease and injury. We enhance patient experiences by providing compassionate care through physicians and scientists who are experts in renal treatment and research.
|Number of currently followed ADPKD patients||100+|
|Number of currently followed ARPKD patients||3-10|
|Number of kidney transplants (avg/year)||100+|
|Number of live donor transplants (avg/year)||10-100|
SEE ARPKD PATIENTSYes
- Affiliated kidney transplant center
- Dieticians or Nutritionists
- Genetic testing and counseling center
- High-risk pregnancy obstetricians
- Interventional radiologist (familiar with cyst aspiration)
- Liver specialists with expertise in PKD (or PLD specialists)
- Mental health specialists
- Neurosurgeon/neurologists (familiar with aneurysm screening and treatment)
- Social workers
- Home hemodialysis
- Peritoneal dialysis
PEDIATRIC PKD CLINIC
- Dedicated pediatric dialysis unit
- Pediatric dieticians
- Hepatologists (familiar with Congenital Hepatic Fibrosis)
- Child Life Specialists
No additional services listed
Affiliated Kidney Transplant CenterYes
Performs Nephrectomy ProceduresYes
Participates in Current Clinical StudiesYes
UAB is NOT considering the steroid-free protocol post-transplant.
PKD kidney nephrectomies with simultaneous renal transplant are performed on a case-by-case basis.
PROVIDES MENTORSHIPS FOR TRAINEESYes
Find more transplant center statistics here
Nephrologists and Researchers
PKD primary focus
PKD primary focus
Familiar with PKD