For decades, we have funded research aimed at accelerating treatments to patients so that one day no one will suffer the full effects of polycystic kidney disease. We are excited to announce that the Foundation has released a Request for Applications (RFA) for two fellowships, which will each be funded for $50,000 a year for two years (pending submission of first year report).
We are interested in fostering research in the area of polycystic kidney disease with the goal of furthering our understanding of the physiological, biochemical and genetic mechanisms of this disease. This fellowship is designed to allow trainees to obtain significant research experience as they initiate careers in polycystic kidney disease research.
Fellows may submit a proposal that examines any aspect of polycystic kidney disease biology. Applicants must:
- Hold an M.D. or Ph.D or the equivalent degree.
- May not have completed more than three years of research training after completion of the M.D. (or equivalent) or two years of postdoctoral research training after the Ph.D. at the time of application submission.
- Complete research under the direction and mentorship of a sponsor.
- Not hold another full fellowship award although institutional supplemental support is acceptable.
- Commit a minimum of 75% of time to research during the fellowship period.
- RFA released: Nov. 4, 2016
- Applications due: March 1, 2017
- Review period: March-May, 2017
- Awardees announced: June 15, 2017
- Year 1 award activation: August, 2017
- Interim report due: July 31, 2018
- Year 2 award activation (assuming submission of report and availability of funds): August, 2018
- Final report due: September, 2019
One of our principal goals is the development of clinical interventions for the treatment of PKD. Proposals in the following areas will be accepted:
Basic laboratory research aimed at increasing understanding of the genetic and pathological processes involved in PKD
Research with an obvious or direct potential to accelerate the development of potential therapies
Award amounts will equal $80,000 direct costs per year for two years, for a total grant award of $160,000. Second-year funding is dependent upon availability of funds. The funds awarded must be used solely for the purposes specified in the proposal submitted to and approved by the PKD Foundation as executed by the investigator and institution in strict compliance with the budget attached to the application.
The application period for our fellowship grants has closed. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Applicants must have an M.D., Ph.D. or equivalent degree and hold a faculty appointment at the institution where the research will be conducted. Applicants need not be United States citizens. No fellowships are awarded under this RFA, although salary support for personnel working on the project may be requested.