Published October 10, 2019
Written by Sue Full, Senior Director of Community Fundraising
What is a matching gift?
A matching gift is a charitable donation your company gives on your behalf. It is based on donations and, in some cases, volunteer hours you’ve provided an organization.
How do companies decide which organizations to support?
According to Double the Donation, “restrictions for eligibility ultimately fall to the employer, but the most common restriction is for religious organizations.” Some companies choose to only support organizations with similar missions while many others cast a wider net.
How much money do companies match?
This varies by company. Most companies provide a 1:1 match (if you donate $100, they will donate $100) but some triple or even quadruple employee gifts. No matter the amount, a match allows your donation to go even further!
Does my company offer matching gifts?
Because each company handles gifts differently, you will want to check with yours. Matching gift information might be included in the employee handbook or on the company intranet. Human resources is usually a great place to start.
What is the typical matching gift process?
- An employee donates money (and in some cases, time) to the PKD Foundation.
- The employee contacts his or her company to get the appropriate paperwork.
- The employee fills out paperwork and initiates the process defined by his or her company.
- The PKD Foundation is notified once paperwork has been completed.
- The PKD Foundation verifies the donation.
- The PKD Foundation notifies the company.
- The company release the matching gift.
- The company will often notify the employee once the match has been processed.
Note: Most matching programs pay out on a standard schedule (i.e. quarterly or bi-annually), so it may be a while before you hear from yours.
- If the employee’s donation was to a Walk or Fundraise Your Way event, the employee will receive an acknowledgement from the PKD Foundation when the money is processed and added to the employee’s page.
We are the only organization in the U.S. solely dedicated to finding treatments and a cure for polycystic kidney disease (PKD). We fund research, education, advocacy, support, and awareness on a national and local level. Over the last 30 years, we have invested more than $50 million in basic and clinical research, making us the largest private funder of PKD research. Help us fulfill our mission and give hope by donating today.