Trick-or-treating is in full effect! Our homes, offices and bellies are likely full of candy, and it is only the beginning. When I worked at an office job, I was in awe of the amount of candy and baked goods that flooded our office this time of year. My bosses would receive gift baskets with candy, baked goods, toffee, chocolates and cookies. I was responsible for opening each package; showing the gift to my bosses; and with their permission, placing most of the items on a common table for the staff to enjoy. At times it was a huge tease, as the treats were in front of me every day, but I quickly learned the importance of refraining from nibbling on everything in sight. What amazed me was the short time-frame in which it took the staff to devour the treats.
In celebration of Halloween, let’s kick off the “treats-filled” season on a positive note. Eating and living healthy when we are surrounded by delicious temptations is difficult. As I strive to take the best care of myself and maintain a fun and healthy lifestyle, here are a few tips that have helped me along my PKD journey to not binge on all of the Halloween candy and goodies:
- Just because it is there, doesn’t mean you have to eat it.
- Portion control is key.
- Have fun baking, but share the majority of it so it is no longer at arms reach.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. You deserve an off day.
- Enjoy Halloween, but don’t over indulge in the sugary treats.
- The greatest tool for me when surrounded by scrumptious treats is “everything in moderation.”