With my 10-year kidney transplant anniversary this coming Monday, I thought it would be fun to take a walk down memory lane.
Everything we have endured in the past has led us to where we are today. If we are happy today, then everything we have gone through was worthwhile and meant to be.
My battle with PKD and my kidney transplant has led me to amazing experiences that I would have never been given the opportunity to enjoy if it were not for all that I have overcome.
I thought I would look back over the past 10 years and share with you some of the monumental experiences I have had, the opportunities I have been afforded and what I have been able to accomplish thanks to the second chance I have been given.
A bazillion thank yous would never be enough for Sally Robertson, who gave me the past beautiful 10 years of my life. So, I lead my life with positivity, purpose and to make her proud of the decision that she made.
Let’s take a walk back in time starting with the year my health was restored…
• 2002 – Received a second chance at life
• 2003 – Started working full time
• 2004 – Founded the South Central PA Chapter of the PKD Foundation and organized my first Walk for PKD
• 2005 – Campaign Chair for the PKD Foundation Campaign for a Cure raising more than $1 million, organized 2nd Walk for PKD
• 2006 – Nominated, received the most votes nationwide and named the first ever Davita Kidney Idol, organized 3rd Walk for PKD
• 2007 – Addressed the Congressional Kidney Caucus in Washington DC to help pass the GINA act and the importance of NIH funding for PKD
• 2008– My award winning biography, “My Favorite American” was released
At Border’s Books book signing event
• 2009 – Received the Celebration of Life award from the Susan P. Byrnes Health Education Center, Selected as “Smart Woman” for Smart Magazine
• 2010 – Noah and I embarked on our cross-country adventure moving from Pennsylvania to California, won the Astellas Ride of a Lifetime Contest
• 2011 – Rode on the Donate Life Float in the Rose Parade, Named National Spokesperson for UKRO, Married my Sweetheart, Noah
• 2012 – Named by Donate Life America as 1 of the “12 Inspiring Women of 20 Million in 2012”
There are countless experiences I have been afforded thanks to the challenging hand I have been dealt in life. These experiences have given me a voice in which I have used while sharing my triumph over adversity at more than 80 events.
What positive experiences or accomplishments have impacted your life?
Monday I will be celebrating life and all that I am thankful for. I am planning a fun day on the 13th and look forward to sharing it with you in next week’s blog post.